Understanding The Difference Between Rural And Urban SocietyPosted on January 31, 2022
Urbanization has transformed the way the industry structures, communities, and lifestyle used to be, and changed the thoughts, trends, behavior, values, culture, and so on. When it comes to material terms of definition, urbanization includes the development of public services and the modern infrastructure that contribute to the changing social and economic situations. People tend to buy property in Kerala based on the urbanized comforts and proximity to all the required amenities without having to face any risk.
Hence, urbanization has been a result of multifaceted and complex procedures that involved the migration of population from rural to urban areas, conversions of land, spatial reconfiguration, changing management, and governance system. There exists a vast difference between rural and urban society, and their lives are entirely different from each other, due to which urbanization has gained importance in this highly competitive world, where more people shift towards urban cities and hope for a well-settled life along with the benefits of urban societies. Flats in Calicut have also been trending with most people seeking the comforts of the city. This blog focuses on discussing in detail the difference between urban and rural society.
- 1 What is Rural Society?
- 2 Characteristics of Rural Society
- 3 What is Urban Society?
- 4 Characteristics of Urban Society
- 5 Significant Difference between Rural and Urban Society
- 6 Conclusion
What is Rural Society?
Rural society has a simple culture with informal social communities and a natural environment, making agriculture and other production processes the core sources of income. The people in rural areas have homogeneity in their jobs, dress, social life, and language. Due to a very slow pace followed in the communication, the rate of change is slow in rural society.
Characteristics of Rural Society
- Open settlements: Rural societies have open settlements. The house patterns are scattered and cover a huge and vast courtyard area.
- Independent house constructed with mud: The houses in rural societies are relatively poor households, made with mud. However, nowadays, houses built with bricks and stones are also seen.
- Agriculture: The core profession of the people in rural societies is agriculture. Most of the rural populations are engaged in agriculture for their income and food.
- Social norms are informal: There are no formal norms followed in the rural community, they practice informal social norms to be more important.
- Social groups are informal: Various groups are informal, and they usually gather in the evening to meet at a common place for sharing discussions and talking about issues that share common interests.
- Informal social interaction: The interaction is deep, periodic, and informal among various social groups and rural residents in the society.
- Informal social control: Panchayat system or informal control measures are used to find and solve everyday problems in care-seeking behavior.
- The literacy rate is less: The rural societies have people with low education, where females are usually discouraged to pursue formal and higher education.
- Slow social changes: The rural societies are normally static. They undergo very slow and gradual changes in social measures.
- Religious beliefs: The rural people are usually very emotionally attached to their religious beliefs. Society people are usually the followers of religious scholars and priests in their social lives.
- Lack of basic facilities: The basic and core facilities like educational institutions, hospitals, roads, communication systems, parks, fuel & gas, shopping malls, etc.
What is Urban Society?
Urban life is similar to having all the facilities of advanced and modern social life. Social interaction is increasing at a faster pace. The rates of change in social life are higher in urban society due to fast and formal interaction between the social groups. Life in urban society is highly formal and progressive, with a growing economy. Due to this faster pace of growth in urban society, there is higher job satisfaction and living status among the people in the society, improving real estate trends in Kerala.
Characteristics of Urban Society
- Modern Social Life: Urban life is similar to the facilities of the advanced lifestyle. Social interaction is quick and formal, while there is a very fast change in terms of urbanization, technology, and industry.
- Different people live together: The people of various races, caste, religions, and professions live together in urban society, making anonymity an important aspect.
- Dense Settlement Pattern: The urban societies have a dense population of urban residents, where the homes are constructed close to each other due to land shortage. There is a huge proportion of people who reside in particular kilometers of the area contributing to high population density.
- Spacious and rich houses: The homes are made using modern infrastructure that include marble, stone, and brick. Palatial houses are common in urban societies, where people spend millions to build and maintain them.
- Urban facilities: There are numerous advanced facilities of metropolitan counties like drinking water, electricity, telephone, gas, mobile phone, airports, commercial centers, fax, internet, shopping mall, road networks, etc. These are some of the major economic factors affecting the housing market in Kerala.
- Formal Interaction: The members of the society follow formal communication and interaction. Various social groups of the urban community follow good communication and implement value-based standards while interacting.
- Formal Groups: The group formation is aligned to the compliance, beliefs, and set of norms. The members of common interests form groups and carry them forward with formal policies and regulations.
- Division of labour: During every walk of life, you find a clear division of labour. The people are trained to do the jobs as per their needs and skills.
- Social Organizations: The social organizations are at your reach where people’s needs are well addressed with perfectly aligned policies.
- High rate of social change: The trends, values, and social elements change at an incredible rate in urban societies. People accept them and get to adopt these changes in their lives in no time.
- Improved Standard of Living: Since there are numerous facilities, industry activities, and business activities, it paves the way for high-end living standards and a great economic activity.
Significant Difference between Rural and Urban Society
Due to rapid urbanization, there has been an increase in the gap between both rural and rural society. But, rural societies are not still confined to medieval times anymore, they are also getting evolved, but at a slow pace. Here are the points of difference between rural and urban societies that make them set apart.
The urban society is greatly industrialized in the modern world with high-end access to the infrastructure, whereas, rural society is not. For the rural economy, this is restricted to small-scale businesses or family-owned industries. Urban development is at an incredible phase while rural development is still there, but takes time to be visible.
Rural society is encircled with life close to nature- heat, drought, rain, and winds are part of their daily life. However, on the other hand, urban life has moved away from the environment to a human-made environment away from nature.
Rural societies have low population density with a lack of proper health facilities. This makes a good percentage of people migrate to urban areas for better facilities. Urban societies are densely populated, however, they have good provisions.
The rural societies have a uniform composition of people, who have shared goals in common while the urban society is filled with heterogeneous people with various cultural, economical, and professional backgrounds.
Level of Interaction
Rural society is rich in informal and face-to-face interactions. You can find genuine relationships and great cohesiveness with rural people, while urban society falls behind in this regard. They have wider interactions but genuine relationships are hard to find. Since there are social dissimilarities among people in urban societies, the social interactions are highly formal.
Rural societies have firm pressures on them to adopt certain cultural and regional beliefs into their lifestyle since they are followed in common. However, on the other hand, urban society has its rules & regulations are based on the current land laws alone.
While rural society consists of a robust and simple single-unit group, urban society has a double unit or multi-unit group of people. When rural is stable and almost static with fewer noticeable changes with years, urban society is evolving every day and continuously improving the standards of development.
Rural households have low living standards with improper home facilities, public utilities, educational facilities, and various medical or health facilities. Whereas in urban society, there is easy access to the aforementioned services and convenience to travel seamlessly.
Role of the Family
The role of the family is very prominent and highly significant in rural areas. Whereas in the urban areas, the hold of families is not firm, and the splitting up of families to nuclear setup has paved the way to leave the responsibilities of families to the various associations and organizations.
Urban-rural classification can give you insights into the scales of differences that make people switch from rural societies to comfortable urban clusters. It is the urban society that contributes well to the National development when compared to the rural region of residence. High-end facilities like formal healthcare, high educational status, etc. are available in the urban regions. There are more jobs per person in urban areas, while rural communities lack such facilities. This is why Urban residences are highly in demand, and real estate trends in Kerala clearly show an upsurge in the people choosing to live life in the city.
Are you checking out the best flats in Calicut for superior apartment projects? You have come to the right place. PVS Builders are one of the most trustworthy and reputed builders in Calicut, with some of the best laid out apartments in prime locations. Contact us today to know more!